Does your scalp ever feel itchy, dry or tight? Do you see white flakes that fall on your shoulders? You might have dandruff. When clients come into my salon they always ask questions like: Why do I have dandruff and how do I get rid of it?
Before I tell my clients how to get rid of dandruff with shampoo recommendations, I tell them some probable causes. According to Medical News Today (MNT),
There can be many factors that cause dandruff and according to MNT it’s not caused from poor hygiene.
Some factors that can cause dandruff is:
- Not brushing your hair enough– By combing/brushing your hair you help shed the skin on your scalp.
- Dry skin-The cold winter can cause drying to the scalp.
- Reactions to new hair products– Sometimes using new products can create dryness to the scalp.
- Shampooing too often- By washing your hair everyday you strip the natural oils in you hair which can lead to a dry scalp.
- Stress- MNT states that, “Experts believe there is a link between stress and many skin problems.”
So now that you know what causes dandruff, check out these three product suggestions from Total Beauty: